Friday, August 1, 2014

A Night in Palestine

Tonight I visited the land of terror, the land of destruction and devastation. I saw burnt, amputated bodies of men, women and innocent children all over. I witnessed people being killed randomly. Men are killed to protect their family; children are killed in front of their mother, house and buildings are in flames and smoke.
For a few minutes or so, I experienc...ed the hopeless fear of Palestine people because I was among them. I vividly remember the place that my family and me took shelter in, an underground dark place. The only light, which would come through, is from a small window. There were moments I wished the little window wasn’t there. I didn’t need the light because through the little glass I would see the heartless, senseless monsters, so called “soldiers” were walking and looking for innocent people to shoot. Whenever I would see the soldiers passing through the underground secret hiding place my heart would pound unstoppable; the fear of being caught would panic me. I would see them passing by with rifles, guns. An unthinkable moment happened, one solider aimed at the window and blindly shot a couple of times. The window glass shattered, smoke filled the underground. I remember, my mom and my little sister run and hide behind whatever there was, luckily we weren’t shot. Nevertheless, that mean heartless inhumane soldier came close to the window to check if his aim was targeted. That moment was indescribable. I pretended to be dead. Playing dead in front of a monster was the scariest moment ever. When he was satisfied that his target was hit he moved on to kill other people. Even though he left I was so shocked and scared that I didn’t want to move, I wanted die. Our next shelter was a school. I saw the face of the fearful teachers trying their best to keep the children calm, cooking for them, giving them food, trying their best to believe that nothing is going on outside the building and that their school full of innocent children would not be targeted. I saw disabled children on their wheel chairs. I was thinking what would happen to them if a bomb would hit them. They wouldn’t be able to run for their life. One of the teachers suggested me to talk to the soldiers since I’m an American citizen and they probably wouldn’t hurt me. I took her advice and went to find the soldiers. finally I got hold of a soldier. I literally held his hand and looked at his eyes and asked him. “Why?!” “Why are you guys doing this?” “Why are you killing innocent people?” “What do you get out of it?” He seemed to understand the pain but he just didn’t want to hear. He wanted to escape from me. He didn’t want to answer me or look through my eyes. But I saw the cowardness on their faces. Somehow the soldiers found out that I’m an American so they didn’t hurt me. But they called the soldier and he forcefully got off from my hand and went to complete his mission. And I woke up.

-Tajreen Ahmed

No comments:

Post a Comment